Here, all stops lead to a world where the vibrant nightlife of U Street meets the boutique retail and cultural institutions of O Street. Explore the rich tapestry of culinary delights, from trendy eateries to classic dining experiences, all within a walkable distance. Immerse yourself in a neighborhood that thrives on intersection, pulsating with creativity and community spirit.
Explore the Rich Culinary Tapestry
The U Street and O Street neighborhoods offer an incredibly diverse range of dining options to satisfy any craving. Find hip, modern eateries featuring cuisines from around the world, alongside classic Washington D.C. establishments that have been local favorites for decades.
Some of the top restaurants in the area include:
- Ben’s Chili Bowl—Landmark DC restaurant serving chili dogs and milkshakes since 1958
- Le Diplomate—French brasserie with a lively atmosphere and patio seating
- Tail Up Goat—James Beard-award winning Mediterranean small plates
- Half Smoke—Casual restaurant and apparel shop
- Busboys and Poets—Bookstore, restaurant, and event space with a social justice mission
- Dukem Ethiopian Restaurant—Authentic Ethiopian cuisine in a vibrant setting
- Convivial—Southern-inspired restaurant and oyster bar
- Beau Thai—Casual Asian fusion restaurant a classic Thai cuisine in a modern setting
- Alero—Ethiopian restaurant on U Street known for authentic wats, kitfos, and gluten-free injera bread options.
- Ben’s Next Door—Cozy late-night restaurant connected to Ben’s Chili Bowl serving chili cheese fries and half-smokes.
- Ted’s Bulletin—Retro diner serving all-day breakfast, pops, and ice cream in a lively setting.
- St. James—Caribbean fusion cafe with curry goat, oxtail stew, rum cocktails and tropical vibes.
- Mi Vida—Mexican small plates restaurant with house-made mole, tacos, and margaritas.
Vibrant Nightlife and Entertainment
When the sun goes down, U Street and O Street come alive. From intimate jazz clubs to boisterous dance clubs, discover some of the hottest nightlife destinations in D.C. Live music venues like the 9:30 Club and U Street Music Hall host national touring acts across genres. Or stop by any number of bars and lounges to enjoy handcrafted cocktails, local beers on tap, or a dram of whiskey.
Some top nightlife picks include:
- Brooklyn on U—Live music and entertainment venue known for hosting local and touring musical acts across genres in an intimate warehouse setting.
- District Alley—Sophisticated lounge and tobacco bar designed to create a networking atmosphere for young professionals.
- Lincoln Theatre—Historic music venue showcasing R&B, soul, and go-go
- Cloak & Dagger—Underground speakeasy-style lounge with DJs and live jazz
- Lost Society—Underground cocktail bar with prohibition-era theming and live music.
- Victory—Swanky nightclub and lounge with bottle service and resident DJs.
- Saint Ex—Bar and miniclub hosting local and guest DJs spinning house and techno.
- Play—Two story dance club known for pop, hip hop, and Latin dance parties.
Shop Local Boutiques and Markets
Beyond the renowned food and nightlife, the U Street and O Street neighborhoods are home to dozens of locally-owned shops highlighting regional designers, crafts, and goods. Browse trendy clothing boutiques, gift shops, record stores, art galleries, and more. Or stop by a weekend farmers market or flea market to discover local artisans and tasty food trucks.
Some favorite local shopping destinations:
- Miss Pixie’s—Vintage and handmade furniture, clothing, and homegoods
- Good Wood—Modern, sustainably-made wood furniture and décor
- Salt & Sundry—Gourmet food, wines, and gifts in a charming setting
With new hotspots popping up constantly, the U Street and O Street neighborhoods offer endless opportunities for exploration, discovery, and one-of-a-kind D.C. experiences. Come see the intersections that give these communities their electric energy and appeal.
Ready to Elevate your Station?